Monday 19 February 2018

A Fish('s) Tale


The Google tells me that "Rabo de Peixe" is Portuguese for tail of the fish.  We spent a beautiful sunny afternoon in the commercial harbour there, sketching.  And here's my tale.

Rabo de Peixe is a large, sheltered harbour with massive tall breakwaters and two stationary cranes for lifting the catch out of the returning long-liners.  Most of the fishing vessels are lifted out by a huge travelift  (pretty much centre of the panorama) and placed out on the hard.  Several were pulled in that manner, over the couple of hours that I made this sketch.  Some of the men came over and looked over my shoulder as well as a couple of boys, who, I'm thinking, can't wait to go out on the water and fish one day with the men.

I have had a nice little 6" x 6" pad of Canal cotton fibre water colour paper for some time and have only used it a few times.  That day, I started on the left and added sheet by sheet until I had used 6 sheets and covered about 270º.

Aside from the pleasure of watching the workings of the harbour and getting lost in the flow of drawing, I came away thinking I'd like to re-do this at and larger size and use more of this fabulous Canal paper.  I just bought a 12" x 25' roll and plan to copy the drawing to be 6' long.  And also, some weekend, take a run to Montreal and visit St. Armand Papetiers.


here are a couple of larger views of the expensive houses on the left looking out onto the Atlantic Ocean  (above) and the fisherman's houses turning their backs to the harbour (below)



No comments:

Post a Comment