Sunday 4 October 2015

Last Swim

We've had a beautiful warm September and I swam regularly in the Ottawa River from the Britannia Club pier, and from my boat while at anchor.  This week, however, the nights grew cold and its undeniable that summer is over.  Clearly, its time to renew my membership at the swimming pool.




It’s a morning with dew
at six on the clock.
It’s a morning for flannel,
two shirts and wool socks.

The warmth will come later
and by lunch be quite nice.
But summer is over,
soon the lake will be ice.

It’s my strange obsession.
Will this be the day?
Or have I already had,
my last swim in the bay?

5 comments:

  1. Your squiggly lines and water colours create spectacular scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poem and beautiful sketch John!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    Bravo....
    Evocative graphic & great text!
    Good to see you are back at it.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Professor - hope you're busy smudgin' too

      Delete